Day 8: Take a nondescript sentence such as, “How are you?” Write the same line from at least five different points of view.
Sentence: What’s new?
1. The wife and I have just come back from holiday. We had the most amazing time; saw great sights and met some fascinating people. Have you done anything interesting lately?
2. Saw the best movie the other day. No spoiler but I cried like a baby. Watched anything good?
3. Little Timothy started school. He looked so smart, unlike how some mothers send their kids to school. How are your little ones?
4. So the divorce is finalised so I’m ready to let loose. No hag to nag me when I get home. Any good news on your end?
5. I don’t wanna be here. Nor do I want to make small talk but this silence feels prolonged and uncomfortable so what’s happening in your life worth minor interest and has a possibility to lead to a more intelligent conversation?